SEM (search engine marketing) is the effective way to market your online business. If you have a business on website, make sure that people who are being your potential customers can look relevant products or services on your website. It can be happen if your website appears on search engine result pages (SERPs). But, it’s not enough when your website just appear on search result but not in top page. People may not find your website or not click if your website not appears on right place or on the top page. So your website must be appearing on the top page if you want to gain many customers. In recent time, many businesses have listed their website into search engine like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
SEM is a form of online marketing that involves promoting your website in search engine result through increasing online traffic. In SEM, your website will have guarantee placement to appear on advertising SERPs (paid). Your website will represent with advertising text. It’s not same with organic SERPs, like SEO (unpaid). See the image below to check the different.
Actually, SEM is an umbrella term that covers two broad areas, gaining traffic through free SEO effort and paid search advertising. There are several forms of search engine marketing, such as Google Adwords, Yahoo Search Marketing, etc. But, most common business owners use Google Adwords to promote their business. In Indonesia, Google reach 64.9% market share for paid search engine (http://www.marktheglobe.com/seo-indonesia/)
Google Adwords: Pay per Click System
Google adwords is online advertising by Google which provide pay per click (PPC) ads system. PPC is a method which the advertiser should pay the ads just it show on search result and clicked by people. If the ads just show on search result and people are not click on the ads, the advertiser shouldn’t pay. So, with Google Adwords the advertiser could manage properly their target marketing. They can be more specified because the advertiser can be managing where and when the ads will appear. In addition, the advertiser will get report of analysis that very useful to support and develop their ads.
Google Adwords provide two kinds of network as the advertiser’s choice to show their ads. Here are the Google Adwords Network
- Google Search Network
Support your ads to appear on Google search result or Google search partner like AOL.com. The ads in this are text ad format.
- Google Display Network
Support your ads to appear and targeted automatically on websites, apps, and other placement which have partnered with Google. Your ads will show on the placement that you choose or relate to your ads, keywords, or other targeting methods. Format ads in Google display network can be text ad, image ad, video ad, mobile ad, and rich media ad.
When you are looking to start SEM as your online marketing strategy, here are a few of advantages to consider.
- Highly target. SEM focuses on the exact costumer. The advertiser can manage to appear campaign when the user actively searching and where the right place which relate to their ads.
- Low cost. It because SEM use pay per click system. So, the advertisers just pay on the right people who are being the potential customer.
- Quick to implement. Setting up a pay-per-click advertising campaign can be done within a day and will start to attract website visits within hours.
- Flexible. Pay per click advertising can be adjusted and developed in response to results, providing a highly flexible form of advertising. The advertisers also can manage to run, pause, or deleted their ads anytime.
- Measurable. Most importantly, SEM can provide extensive data on the responses being achieved, allowing a high level of analysis to support and develop the campaign.